Friday, June 24, 2011

Running Around Flying

Ok so the packing is the easy part about getting to Alaska.  The most difficult thing so far has been getting the flights coordinated to include our dogs.  I spent several hours last night on the phone and another several hours tonight on the phone to get this coordinated.  First I was sent on a labyrinthical chase to ship Amos only to not be able to understand the first person that I spoke with and then get so frustrated that all I could do was reach for a beer (only because it was the only thing that made sense at the moment, how funny is that?).  So after "clearing my head" a bit, I called back and talked to someone who I could actually make out what they were saying and got some very valuable information.  Then today I searched more flight options and talked to more airlines about the procedures of flying with dogs.  While talking to the one lady with Alaska Air, we started talking about our dogs.  It turns out she has a lemon beagle.  Sometimes life is small that way and I at least got to hear some good stories about her dog.  So I decided after the information that she gave me and the reviews I heard of others that Alaska Air is one of the airlines I would be flying with.  That got me from Minneapolis to Fairbanks, now how to get to Minneapolis?  Well after some interesting technical issues I finally found a flight that Amos could go with us on through Frontier.  Now you may be asking "What about Rupert?"  Well he was the easy one, cause he goes in the cabin with us.  So after some more phone calling (and several Tylenol later) I was finally able to get this done. 

We will be officially leaving PA on August 2 and will arrive in AK on August 3, with only 4 separate flights to do so (and that doesn't include the one to get to from Fairbanks to Fort Yukon).  Hopefully all goes without a hitch and we all get to AK as one group.  In the meantime we have much to pack and do.  Keep posted for more of the adventure.

~Jocelyn

1 comment:

  1. Good luck packing up. It can be overwhelming but it will be a distant memory in a few months. =)
    ~AnnMarie

    ReplyDelete