Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New Beginnings

It's amazing how quickly life can change.  When I started out in the process of looking for school counseling positions last year, I had no idea I would end up looking seriously into Alaska.  At the PERC fair last year I spoke with a representative from Lake & Peninsula District and then jokingly talked to Andrew about this.  He laughed and said it would be quite the adventure.  We didn't think much further about the idea till around the beginning of this year when I began to look into school counseling positions again and all of the sudden Alaska was everywhere we seemed to turn.  So we looked further and really researched what it would mean to be working in a bush school district.  The more we learned, the more we wanted to go.  So I again began the search process and met with a district while at the PERC fair this year.  I interviewed with them and they wanted to hire me but after much searching they could not find housing for us.  So then I began to look at other districts and found Yukon Flats.  I interviewed and well I guess you have figured out from the post that I was offered the job.  I accepted on Friday and here we are.

So as of August 2011, Andrew and I will be residents of Fort Yukon, Alaska. 

There are so many things to think about and do.  It is an almost overwhelming process.  Our blog is starting with the process of moving and what this means when it is to bush Alaska. 

Once we have arrived in Fort Yukon, I will begin my photo journal as part of this blog. 

So here's to New Beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment